Greenwood Street Bridge
Thief River Falls, MN
The Planning for the new Greenwood Street river crossing began in 1958, the year Minnesota's Municipal State Aid System was established. City leaders at the time had the foresight to realize that, as the city grew, another east–west corridor and Red Lake River crossing would be needed. They placed Greenwood Street on the state aid system and maintained it as a priority in the city's comprehensive plans.
Detailed planning for the new bridge started in 2006 with the completion of a federal Project Memorandum, which included traffic noise analysis, cultural resources investigation, geotechnical exploration, and other extensive environmental studies. Every detail for the bridge was carefully discussed and communication was vital among the City, public works staff, utilities department, private utilities, engineers, and state and federal agencies including Minnesota Department of Transportation, Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, Federal Highway Administration, and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
The resulting 300-foot-long, three-span bridge will accommodate four lanes of vehicular traffic, snowmobiles, and pedestrians. Concrete form liners and red- and brown-toned stain give the double arch piers the appearance of dray-stacked field stone, providing an attractive addition to the community.
WSN completed the street, utility, and bridge design and construction inspection and contract administration on the entire project.