When was the last time your comprehensive plan was updated? On average, plans are updated every three to five years. Comprehensive plans are critical roadmaps for cities as they spell out strategies for infrastructure improvements, enhanced recreational spaces, housing needs, public policies, and a vision for positive growth. The backbone of all comprehensive plans is data, and with the 2020 census right around the corner, now might be the right time to consider planning an update.
New census data should be available toward the end of the first quarter in 2020. Your city’s population, demographics, and economics have most likely changed in the past 10 years. To make the best projections and plan for your future, current data is the key. Here’s how WSN can help with your comprehensive plan:
- Visioning and Goals Identification
- Analyze Current Challenges
- Create Alternatives
- Create/Amend and Adopt
- Review and Revise
The 2020 census also provides a good opportunity to develop a housing study. For example, you may find that the data suggests your community needs additional apartments, a new senior living facility, or affordable housing. These are some of the services we offer for housing studies:
- Engagement with all community members, stakeholders, and decision makers
- Local market research and engagement with business leaders
- Understanding of the local economy and demographics, including minorities
- Existing housing availability, housing challenges, economics, job growth, and commuting patterns
- Recommendations with achievable outcomes
Whether you need to update your comprehensive plan, develop a new housing study, or need help with zoning, subdivision design, or development review, WSN can help. Contact Logan Tjossem to develop a strategy to position your city for solid growth in the future.